Sunday, September 23, 2018

What Matters: An experiment.

Social media has become pretty toxic the past couple years--especially since the election. Not only has it been a platform for bullies and bullshit, but it has also come to light that companies like Facebook have sold our personal data to the highest bidder. That is both scary and irritating. 

As a result, I have been trying to engage with social media in a more deliberate manner. I have also been trying to become aware of when I am being manipulated so that I can shut it off. The fact that what I look at on Amazon pops up on Facebook is also alarming. That shows that data is being shared for profit. I am a number. But the idea for blogging is a bit easier to engage with, even though it is supposedly no longer as popular as it once was. Oh well, I never followed fads anyway. This is for me. 

In the upcoming week, my goal is to do more FACE TIME with REAL PEOPLE. Actual face time. I am slowly moving from Facebook to Instagram, which is owned by Facebook but appears to be less saturated with bull at this time. That could easily change as people move away from Facebook. I am a visual person, so Instagram is a bit more fitting. But I am limiting my time on it as well in favor of reading and getting back to some creative activities like pottery.

With the kids grown and on their own, I have been trying to figure out exactly what to do with my time, and it has come back around to pottery. I started working with pottery or some form of ceramics when I was a teenager and it seems that I put it down and then circle back to it again. This time I found a makers space with a wheel and kiln and I have spent afternoons making bowls for Empty Bowls, a worldwide charity. Our local one benefits the food bank here in town. I committed to 2 dozen bowls and as of right now, I am three shy of getting my goal. By the time the event rolls around, I will have my 2 dozen completed. There is something about the wheel that has captured my attention. I am still working on perfecting my throwing, but it has been fun to see how far I have come. My eventual goal is to have a wheel at home. I was given two small kilns recently and eventually I want to have a studio either close to home or in the garage. I am trying to visualize it and manifest it in any way possible. 

I was going to title this post "Things That I Am Avoiding", but that sounds pretty negative. Instead I am taking some time to figure out what is going on in my life and how I can spend my time in a more meaningful way. What matters? That has been my big question for myself. And the scary part is that most of the time, I don't have a definite answer. I figured by the time I got to 53, I would know something about which direction I should take. I don't. I have found that I have so many interests and I dabble in so much that I have not perfected one particular thing except my drawings. Now I am trying to figure out "Who am I" now that my kids are grown and I have time. That "time" always seemed so far in the future. Now it is here and I am a bit adrift. 

I have an upcoming trip to Syracuse, New York planned and I am pretty excited that I actually took the initiative and said I wanted to go instead of staying around Wichita. Traveling is something I have always wanted to do and now I have no engagements that require my presence here in town, so I am going to be more open to travel. Has anyone been to Syracuse? I have never been to that part of the United States and I am looking forward to it. It will be a sightseeing trip for me, a business trip for my husband. I have been looking at the museums and things to do there. The flying part is not my favorite, but it will be good to get there quickly and start exploring. I have a friend that moved to the area, so she is going to show me around at least one of the days. I am searching out pottery studios and art galleries in the area also. And bookstores. I always hit at least one bookstore while I am anywhere. That said, the thrift stores have been an excellent source for books that are already on my Amazon wish list. I have been surprised. The hotel we are in has a fireplace in the room, so nights will be spent reading in front of the fireplace. That is exciting to me! I want a fireplace in our house! 

Fall is supposedly here and I have had a restless 2018. I am looking ahead to making opportunities and making art for the remainder of the year. What are your plans? 


No comments:

Post a Comment