Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Art of Baking as a Retreat from Life

Lately, the world, the United States specifically, is in chaos. People cannot seem to just figure out how to embrace the differences and get along or are trying to blame others for things they have not participated in. If some people didn't get their way in the election, then they are bound and determined to bring the whole nation down as an attempt to throw a tantrum to get their way. The funny thing is that while people want to protest in huge numbers, once they leave that little event, they do nothing to go about making their corner of the world a better place.

 THAT is where the change starts. In your own little corner of the world. And then it grows outward from there. How? Volunteer at a soup kitchen or a food distribution point. Take a meal to an elderly shut in. Smile at people on the street, no matter how different they are from you. Trust me, they are more like you than you can imagine.

At this point, the mental exhaustion of watching the childish posts and games on both social and mainstream media has me a bit exhausted and not feeling very optimistic for the future. Although I know humans have always had periods of unrest (thinking the 60's in the United States), I feel a need to disconnect and turn homeward to nurse my mental fatigue from the world. My method of release is baking. So, in the upcoming weeks and months, I will be highlighting some of my favorite soup and bread recipes. I will be sharing stories of makers. I will be sharing stories of connections.

I hope you enjoy the upcoming posts. Remember that positive change happens with you, not politicians or the media. Make connections, ask questions, start positive conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment