Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Resolutions and Realities

Copyright Rhonda Davis

One of the things I struggle with lately is keeping my blog updated with content. Right now, part of that is because I am trying to figure out what I want to focus on. I am an empty nest Mom, so writing about trying to gain a sense of purpose after the kids are out and on their own is a possibility. I am also interested in getting finances under control. so there is another possibility. Another avenue is the fact that I am interested in traveling and exploring both here in Kansas and elsewhere. Another possible slant on topics. Picking a target is a bit of a challenge right now, so I think I have decided that I will take a couple months and just post it all. All the adventures and misadventures. I think trying to find my own voice is a struggle that a lot of us face.

 After having the title of "Mom" for so long, the title is the same, but the job description has changed. I am proud of the progress my 3 boys are making for themselves but I am also having to realize that sometimes my advice and opinion is not what they need as they figure out their path. I think stepping back is a challenge. I am trying to remind myself that I need to step back from the kids that I raised and get to know the adults they are becoming. My husband is so much better at letting them fly the nest. I am working on that.

Getting to know myself is another thing I am working on. Now that the "Mom" title has been modified, who am I working on. I know I love art, that was the degree I finally finished 2 years ago, but what else? One of the things I am passionate about in my work is communicating the ties that bind us to each other and the world. We tend to forget that as the natural world is plundered, we are plundering our future. This is something that I was able to really think about when I was at an artist's residency in Washington state. That residency was a turning point in my thinking and my work. I am currently working on a series about "connections". The connections with others and the environment. The connection between situations and between appearances. Things are not always black and white, no matter how much we think they are. I am interested in doing more traveling, talking and observing in order to make work about our connections and disconnections.

Life is interesting in every phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment