| copyright Rhonda Davis |
Lately it has come through loud and clear to me that attaching meaning and feelings to objects is not always the best thing to do. Not sure if this is just a Southern thing, but quite early on, I fell into the habit of saving things from the past and attaching personal narratives and meaning to these things. As a result, over the years I have lugged WAY too much around in my physical home and my mental home. The amount of clutter has reached a point where I have recognized there is a problem. Why do I have problems attaching meaning and feelings to inanimate objects? This is something I have had to really force myself to think about. I think the generation today is less likely to view a "family heirloom" with the amount of sentimental attachment as past generations. I wish I had grown up with that attitude!
Things are just things.
This is what I am trying to remember as I divest myself of the pack rat habit of thinking that these things have meaning beyond their purpose. Don't get me wrong, there are objects that I won't part with for sentimental reasons, but I also have collected a large amount of objects that need to be purged so that I can claim back visual and mental space. This is where I have been trying to read more on minimalism and figuring out the best way it can assist me in this endeavor.
I have been looking at a lot of blogs written by people who are embracing minimalism or restrictive consumption and it has been eye opening. I come from a family of "I might need that later" people. So now I am trying to break that at the ripe age of 52. What the hell has taken so long? OR maybe it is the fact that I am realizing that things tie us down and keep us tethered.
Are you a sentimental saver or is it easy for you to have a minimum amount of possessions?
Over the next couple weeks, I am doing a big purge and will be posting thoughts here. Share with me your ideas. inspirations and struggles.
No comments:
Post a Comment